Los Angeles is widely recognized as the entertainment capital of the world, so you can imagine there are quite a few studio rental options for filming a commercial or product promotional photography. To avoid being overwhelmed by all the various options, we've put together a list of 10 studio recommendations after assessing the best Tinseltown has to offer. We considered items such as lighting, size, equipment, and amenities in our evaluation, as well as the overall space.
1. Smashbox Studios: www.smashboxstudios.com: Founded by the same individuals that launched Smashbox Cosmetics, this studio is recognized as a go-to location for world-class photographers and directors to produce content. The 25,000 square foot space recently reopened in 2015 unveiling a completely renovated facility and major technology upgrades. Offering 5 onsite and 1 off site studio with a modern open aesthetic along with available services from equipment, creative and workflow platform, it’s easy to see why Smashbox is a top pick across the board
- Large size of 25,000 square feet
- 6 studios available
- Upgraded technology platform
2. Box eight: www.boxeight.com: This studio offers a wide range of production services to fit the needs of any project. The space is divided into two studios: a 4,000 square foot studio equipped for photography and film, and a 2,000 square foot private outdoor area with garden. The indoor space boasts 20’ vaulted ceilings offering plenty of natural light with blackout capacity, and the garden space provides various textures to use in the backdrop.
- Large outdoor garden space
- Tall vaulted ceilings
- Equipped for film production
3. FD Photo Studio: www.fdphotostudio.com: Conveniently located in downtown LA, FD Photo Studio offers a convenient and affordable option for photography services. There are 12 different stages available for rent across their 3 locations, so a variety of options based on the scale of the project. Equipment is also included with the rental fee and retouching services are also available in-house.
- Convenient downtown location
- 12 studios available
- Equipment included
4. Studio 1444: www.studio1444.com: A full service rental studio located in the heart of Hollywood that also offers state of the art photography equipment rentals as well as digital capturing and retouching services. It’s easy to understand why so many top photographers have shot at this location with natural lighting throughout the 2500 square foot studio, private parking lot, and building’s rock-n-roll history. They offer great rates on equipment rental packages with production assistants and digital technicians available for hire, making the experience as smooth as possible.
- Digital and retouching services available
- State-of-the-art equipment rentals
- Located in the heart of Hollywood
5. 1906 Studios: www.1906studios.com: This spacious 2100 square foot loft offers breathtaking city views with its two walls of windows and is in close proximity to all major freeways. Furniture, props, and equipment are all included with the studio rental, with a rooftop available for an additional fee. They also have an in-house production team that offer services ranging from set design, hair styling, retouching, and search engine optimization.
- Incredible views of the city
- Furniture and equipment included
- Full range of production services available
6. EDGE: www.theedgegrip.com: A photo studio and equipment rental house that will cater to your needs and has an impressive list of equipment available to rent. The industrial design creates an open, clean aesthetic and can host up to 350 people comfortably in its 3000 square foot space. The layout is simple with the ability to have walls added in a range of sizes and cyc color-matching available.
- Open industrial architecture
- Customizable layout options
- Capacity of up to 350
7. Super Daylight Studio: www.superdaylightstudio.com: If you’re looking for plenty of natural light in a space with extremely high ceilings, Super Daylight Studio lives up to its name. With a private location on the 2nd and 3rd floor, the 1500 square foot studio has south facing windows with full blackout capacity if needed. Equipment rentals, full production, and retouching services are also available.
- Abundance of natural light
- Full blackout capacity
- Private location
8. Dream Factory LA Studio: www.thedfla.com: The primary studio features 3,400 total square footage, with a main shooting area of 2,200 square feet and secondary shooting area of 750 square feet, offering versatility and options. A conference, styling, and make-up room are also included and all rentals receive a 15% discount on equipment. Simple, affordable pricing make this studio an easy pick.
- Versatile shooting space
- Affordable pricing packages
- Equipment rentals available
9. Apex Photo Studios: www.apexphotostudios.com: There are 9 different rental spaces available for your next shoot, including 2 different rooftops and a loft, so no matter what you’re looking for, you’re sure to find it here. Apex is located in the fashion district which makes it a great choice with soaring ceilings, spectacular views, concrete floors, and floor-to-ceiling windows.
- 9 different studio spaces
- Rooftop access available
- Located near the LA fashion district
10. Opulen Studios: www.opulenstudios.com: This fully-equipped photography studio rental has a large open shooting space with plenty of natural lighting. Seamless backdrops are also available to rent in almost any color along with strobe and continuous lighting. There are also an outside shooting areas accessible from the street-level studio to add some variety based on your needs.
- Spacious open are to shoot
- Various backdrop and lighting options available
- Outdoor street-level space